6.08.2005

4 a.m. bonus track

A new reader wandered over to this site after reading one of my comments over at Said the Gramophone, one of my favorite blogs to frequent. Jordan over there posted a link to a cover of Brian Eno's "St. Elmo's Fire" (no, it's not that re-dunk-ulous "Man in Motion" theme song from the Brat Pack movie of the same name) done by UILAB.

I mentioned my favorite cover of the same song, done as a collaboration between PORTASTATIC (Mac from Superchunk's side band) and Ira and Georgia from YO LA TENGO. I first heard the track when I was in college, from the former band's "Scrapbook" EP. Any Yo La Tengo fan will surely recognize the immediately calming backing vocals from Georgia, and Ira's manic electric guitar solos. That little white boy can puh-lay, yo.

Cheggitout here:

"St. Elmo's Fire"

UPDATE, 4:40 a.m.

For those of you who still actually pay to read magazines, the new issue of PLAYLIST magazine should have hit most stores (Barnes and Noble, Borders, the Apple store, etc) by now. This issue features my very first column, along with a few other pieces and reviews I wrote. Please, if at all possible, support this magazine. We're on our third issue now and we're hoping this thing can catch on. Every issue sold matters, so go grab a copy for yourself, your little brother, your mom... anyone you know who is going whole hog into this digital music phenomenon.

I just noticed that a few of the playlists I also created for the magazine are on their site... here's a link to one:

Grand Theft Audio

6 comments:

stevedomino said...

a great blog that i stumbled over via your comment on SVC - good music, great words. Thanks!

Dylan Gaughan said...

Thanks Steve. That's a hell of an eclectic site you and your friends have put together over there as well. I've added you to my giant personal bloglist, so I'll be seeing you over on your page every few days.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You were right about the St.Elmo's cover. Thanks for posting it...and so quickly too! Hail, hail Ira and Robert Fripp.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your column! That's a big achievement! I'll definitely be checking it out!

<3

Amy said...

I never got much from the Portastatic full-lengths, but the Scrapbook and Naked Pilseners EPs are pretty great. Esp, Naked Pilseners. The mag sounds cool--will have to look for it.

Dylan Gaughan said...

As far as the Portastatic LPs go, I really, really liked "Slow Note from a Sinking Ship." The rest seem kind of like collections of tossed off songs, but that one really holds together for me.

Now I'm thinking I might just have to do a Portastatic post tomorrow night.