6.27.2008

Our MORNING JACKET

mmj.jpg

"It Makes No Difference"
"Black Sabbath"
"Rocket Man"
"Where to Begin" by MY MORNING JACKET:
Louisville, KY's My Morning Jacket have a new album out. If you've come here with the expectation that you're going to hear about it, I'm sorry to disappoint you. Other than a couple of tracks, I haven't heard it yet. I'm sure there are dozens of places where you can find all the latest breaking news, anyway.

Tonight, I'd rather give you a few rarities and live tracks. My Morning Jacket have slowly been earning the reputation as one of the best live bands working today, and judging from what I've seen and heard from dozens of bootlegs and televised performances, that reputation is solid. The band recently appeared on Saturday Night Live and absolutely killed on "I'm Amazed" and the strangely Prince-ian "Evil Urges," a track that has been dividing MMJ fans down the middle. Decide for yourself HERE.

My Morning Jacket have fantastic taste in covers, as represented by the inclusion in this post of their live rendition of Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath," and their studio recording of The Band's classic "It Makes No Difference." Even when covering a song that has been driven into the ground by classic rock radio, like Elton John's "Rocket Man," lead singer Jim James manages to breathe new life into the tune.

The band were one of the few highlights of Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown, and also (depending on your opinion of the rest of the movie) Todd Haynes' meditation on Bob Dylan, I'm Not There. "Where to Begin" comes from the former film; I previously posted MMJ's take on Dylan's "Going to Acapulco" a few months back.

For Omaha area readers, My Morning Jacket will be performing outdoors at the Stir Concert Cove in August. I highly recommend checking them out, and I hope to see you there.

Songs my iPod shuffle re-introduced me to this week:

"Big Love" by KEVIN DREW & BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE

"Conquest" by TAPES N TAPES

Don't forget to check out Dylan and the Movies to see if watching 365 movies in 365 days takes its toll on my psyche.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

files only posted 7-10 days, so what's the point to keeping archives of long dead links posted ?

Dylan Gaughan said...

First, on how many posts are you going to leave this reply?

Second, if you were that upset that I had dead links to Shocking Blue, you could have just sent me a nice email and asked for the tracks. I probably would have obliged. Instead, you're being a baby.

Files are posted for a limited amount of time. I'm not going to go back into two goddamn years of old posts and take the links out so people who don't read the site regularly are inconvenienced by some "fake out" link that won't get them what they want.

I pay out of my own pocket to have this site and to host these songs. Get 'em while you can get 'em. If you want to help me pay for my hosting costs, feel free brother. Or maybe you'd like to go through my 160 posts and break all the links?

Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled and free of tears and try to keep up.

Dylan